Re: Impact of MySQL Queries

If both services are running on the same machine then no, the number of queries per page will not affect bandwidth. It will however, affect you processor usage. Without having seen your code, I can only make generalizations. 20 queries is a bit excessive but it's still manageable if the server is not being hit too heavy. To answer your question directly, yes, it will start to slow down as you have more people using the system.

I would suggest you consider the following.

1: Use ADODB as your abstraction layer. It has built in query caching and could dramatically improve page speed as well as lower processor usage.

2: Take a hard look at your code and make sure you actually need 20 queries on a page. Would a single query be possible and then spin through the result set?

3: Consider moving to a Linux box. (Sorry, had to be said) Without the overhead of a GUI, your processor will be more available for mysql and your web server.

4: Make sure you have the proper indexes set. If you do need 20 queries, 20 fast queries are better than 20 slow queries. :)

HTH.

Let me know how I may be of service,
=C=
* Cal Evans
* http://www.eicc.com
* We take care of your IT,
* So you can take care of your business.
*
* I think inside the sphere.

Marcjon Louwersheimer wrote:
I have IIS 4.x and MySQL running on the same machine. So do queries use
up bandwidth? Does it matter if I have 20 queries per page? Will that
slow it down if many people started using my site? Currently only I, and
some friends for testing, use it.