output formatting question

I have a small database of employee names and phone extensions that I
have put together.  I have also put together a very simple php page that
enables endusers to pull up this directory listing.  My question is
simple, the output right now is in one long column (actually, three,
first name, last name, extension) and I would like to break the page
down into two columns (consisting of the three database columns each).
I am not a php programmer and would appreciate any help.  If there is a
good article out there that someone could point me to that would be
great - that is how I figured out how to do the other.
thanks,
DF