javascript question

Hi everyone;

First of all I'm sorry maybe I musn't send this mail to this list but I
think that someone can help me. Here is my problem:

I use pear templates. In my html template file there is an javascript like
this:

function validateAll (objForm){
	if (objForm.comp_prg.selectedIndex == 0) {
			alert ("You must choose something");
	return false;
	}
  Return true;
}

This code is true. But I want to use php variable in this code. Alert
sentence must be a php_variable. I try

Alert(<php $message?>); or
Alert(<php echo"$message";*>);

But I it isn't work. Can anybody help me??