Re: What's wrong with this query?

An interesting thought. I tried this:

echo "Term: $search, Returns: $arrayword, UserIP: $ip<br>";
$logit = mysql_query("INSERT INTO log SET term='$search', returns='$arrayword', time=CURTIME(), date=CURDATE(), ip='$ip'");
echo "Query Value: $logit";

And got this on the page:

Term: skater, Returns: 312, UserIP: 192.168.1.234
Query Value:

Notice that the variables are set with appropriate values, but the $logit variable is blank. This, I think is the problem. The question is why would it do this and not return any type of error? By the way, I tried this using the other syntax people where suggesting and I got the same results. I gotta tell you, this one is really kicking my ass. It's the last piece of an update that I can't release until it's finished.

Nick

Hutchins, Richard wrote:

Been kind of following this thread off and on...

If the syntax is acceptable by MySQL, which it appears to be, is it possible
that the variables you are using within the query string are not set to
anything? Or is it possible that there is something broken immediately
before the query string is fired?

Most times, when I run into query problems, immediately before I send the
query to the database, I'll echo the statement out to the browser so I can
see the exact string that's being sent to the db.

So can you do this:

$sql = "INSERT INTO log SET term='$search', returns='$arrayword',
time=CURTIME(), date=CURDATE(), ip='$ip'";

echo $sql;

$logit = mysql_query($sql) or
	die(mysql_error());

And check out what gets spit out to the browser when $sql is echoed? Maybe that'll point out something that's going wrong. If nothing is apparent, post the results of echo $sql back to the list and maybe one of us will find something.

HTH.

Rich