From: John W. Holmes [mailto:holmes072000@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 22 February 2004 15:57
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Connect to MSDE using PHP

I've downlownded and installed the Desktop Edition of MSSQL and am
trying to connect to it with PHP. Has anyone ever accomplished this?

I've uncommented the line in php.ini to load the MSSQL functions and
they show up on a phpinfo() page, so that part is good.

When I installed MSDE I tried it without a named instance first and just

set an SA password.

Neither of these worked:
mssql_connect('localhost','sa','password')
mssql_connect('coconut','sa','password')

where "coconut" is the name of my computer.

Then I tried installing MSDE again with a named instance and tried

mssql_connect('namedinstance\localhost','sa','password')
mssql_connect('namedinstance\coconut','sa','password')

and those wouldn't work either. The only response I get is "failed to
connect to server ..."

I'm off to try ODBC. Anyone have any suggestions?

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals - www.phparch.com