Optimize Table

Hi all

I read that it is neccessary and good to optimize my DB tables frequently.. I am using phpMyAdmin-2.5.4 to maintain my database and the program showed me that my overhead for some tables is over 5000. Can i know when would be good for me to optimise my tables? For example, once I have an overhead of 1000, I should optimise my tables?

Another of my concern is that, when I optimise tables, I read that my tables will be locked. Does it mean that my customers cannot do a select statement on the table? In this case, can I schedule phpMyAdmin to optimise the table at a certain time, say 3am when there is very little traffic??

Thank you so much!

kind regards,
hwee