Re: Re: PHP - MsSQL - "DB error connect failed" - mssql_pconnect?

Le mercredi 21 janvier 2004, 13:07:24 ou environ Robert Twitty <rtwitty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
> mssql_pconnect() may add to problem of too many connections.  The reason
> is because the persistent connection is associated with the Apache child
> process and not the script.  This is significant because you are not
> guaranteed to be served by the same child everytime the script is invoked.
> Thus, over an extendend period of operation, the result will be a
> persistently open connection for each active Apache child process.
>
> -- bob

Thank you for this explanation. That is well what I supposed. I guess the other
MsSQL clients (Windows) are doing something like a permanent connection. I
can't force my way through with my Linux/PHP host. I secretly hoped that
mssql_pconnect would allow me to have a materially permanent connection and
prevent anybody to take my place. Well! It was just a hope. I hoped too to
launch plenty of permanent connections and prevent the others to connect in
order to force the administrator to think how to solve the problem if there was
a way to solve it. I must say I am doing a development work of connection of a
Linux server with Apache/PHP to a MsSQL-2000 server in an environment dominated
by Windows/IIS/ASP. IIS/ASP are for me a pain in the ass (I respect the others
with another opinion) but I have to understand very well the inner working of
the MsSQL server without having access to the configuration of it (personnaly I
don't think the administrator understands it which is another problem). Thus
any hint is welcome.

Thank you again.

Alain

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Alain [iso-8859-15] Barthélemy wrote:
>
> > Le mercredi 21 janvier 2004, 13:55:26 ou environ Alain Barthélemy <cassandre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
> >
> > Still another question in my (desperate?) trials to connect to a MsSQL-2000
> > Server from a Linux host.
> >
> > I don't work usually with MsSQL but no choice at work. Still problems to have a
> > connections. I went to see the SQL-server administrator and she found that the
> > same person had 4 connections to the server (and not having 4 jobs at the same
> > time). The server is quickly saturated (undersized) and I suppose that the
> > mssql_connect() request of my PHP script is just ignored because there is no
> > place left (bad configuration of the MsSQL server?).
> >
> > Now I wonder if it would be possible to keep a stable connection with
> > mssql_pconnect()?
> >
> > Can anybody enlighten me?
> >
> > --
> > Alain Barthélemy
> > cassandre@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://bartydeux.be
> > Linux User #315631
> >
> > --
> Dit bericht werd gecontroleerd op bekende virussen en werd virusvrij bevonden
> Ce message a été vérifié et est certifié exempt de virus connus.
>
> Scientific Institute of Public Health, J.Wytsmanstreet 14, B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
> Wetenschappelijk Instituut Volksgezondheid, J.Wytsmanstraat 14, B-1050 Brussel, België
> Institut scientifique de santé Publique, 14 rue J.Wytsman, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgique
> Visit our website: http://www.iph.fgov.be
> Tel: +32 2 642 51 11   Fax: +32 2 642 50 01

Alain Barthélemy
cassandre@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://bartydeux.be
Linux User #315631