phpMyAdmin produces error on PHP

I am using Red Hat 9 which comes with PHP.

I have installed mySQL and tested it from terminal - it seems to be working fine.  I am very new to Linux though.

phpMyAdmin is producing the following error message from the browser

"cannot load MySQL extension,
please check PHP configuration.
DOCUMENTATION (link)"

I have checked the documentation, and it says to install a package called PHP-MySQL.    I have downloaded this and (i think) installed it.  But the error message remains.  I am not that great with Linux - so any help you can provide will be very appreciated.

Thank you

Andy