Re: Using two colomns of mysql data as key/value pairs in arrays

Chris --

...and then Chris Boget said...
%
% > The original poster actually mentioned an associative array with one db
% > field as the index and another as the value.  None of these, just like
% > Ignatius's suggestion, will do the job.
%
% Actually, mysql_fetch_assoc() will do quite nicely.

Really?  How?  I must be quite confused.

Given a DB table that looks about like

  id	name
  01	david
  02	anna
  03	eunice
  04	bob
  05	celeste
  06	fred

then code like

  $result = mysql_query("select id,name from table") ;
  while ( $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result) )	// or mysql_fetch_array($result,MYSQL_ASSOC) for those who like mysql_fetch_array but for some reason care about the memory used by a single record
  {
  }

will yield $row like

  array
  (
    'id' => 01,
    'name' => 'david'
  )

or so every time.  How on earth is that going to get Devon his desired

  array
  (
    '01' => 'david' ,
    '02' => 'anna' ,
  )

as requested without some php work?

%
% > I didn't think it worth shooting down someone who was being helpful, though,
% > when I made my response.
%
% It didn't seem like he was shooting you down.

No, but IMNSHO he shot a rather rude hole in Ignatius.

%
% Chris

TIA & HTH & HAND

:-D