problem - query inside a function

Hi,
I'm having trouble with a query inside a function.  I thought I'd written
this so that the function would fail if email and zipcode supplied were not
in the same row (trying to use those two things to identify the user), but I
don't think that is what is happening because I can enter the wrong zipcode
and it will return data based on the email.  Any suggestions or corrections?
Thanks!
-Kirk

[code snippet]
function getEditData($email,$zipcode) {
    $sql = "SELECT * FROM contact_info WHERE zipcode='$zipcode' AND
email=\"{$email}\"";
    $query = mysql_query($sql);
    if (mysql_affected_rows()=="0") {
      $this->sendResult("Fail","We do not have the given email and zipcode
on file.  Please go to the menu and start again.");
    }
[end snippet]