From: "Martin Marques" <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>
To: "Ignatius Reilly" <ignatius.reilly@free.fr>; "Peter Beckman"
<beckman@purplecow.com>
Cc: <php-db@lists.php.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:37 PM
Subject: Re:  MySQL, PHP or ghost?

El Jue 28 Ago 2003 11:25, Ignatius Reilly escribió:
> Well, it IS logical provided one is aware of the rules of the game,
> meaning, as you rightly point out, that MySQL does not reject SQL
> statements for incorrect values, but attempts at converting them "at any
> price". I have no clue whether it is or not a shortcoming of the
> implementation (I do not know what SQL-92 says about this). Therefore data
> validation should be done outside MySQL.

The thing that IS ilogical is the way MySQL plays the game. What would you
think if all of a sudden the "date" command in linux did something like that
(try to add some strange date when the given date isn't a valid date)?

Now lets suppose this is a good idea, and one would have to program to get
the
data integrity (data integrity isn't only when the database server fails).
Then why do I have to put different data types? Let's use text everywhere!
Or
if I do use different data types, what if I have a bug? I could have people
bogus (like the numeric example I gave earlier).

To state it more clearly, I havn't seen Oracle, Informix or PostgreSQL do
things like this, which reminds me of what someone told me once: MySQL is
just a FS with an lousy SQL language (and pretty incomplete).

Maybe the problem is that most people never read Codd's 12 rules for a
RDBMS:

http://www.byte.com/art/9406/sec8/art11.htm

--
 16:23:01 up 6 days,  8:13,  4 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.31, 0.18