RE: IBM DB2 & PHP 4.3.2 behaviour

Gerard Samuel <mailto:gsam@trini0.org>  wrote on Tuesday, August 19,
2003 2:32 PM:

> I understand on a fresh database startup, it takes time to get things
> together to run. But sometimes it would seem like its going fast, then
> othertimes, crawl
> slower than snails.

I've found that, with an AS/400, I had to build the proper indexes, such
as an upper case only version for performing LIKE '%LASTNAME%' searches,
*and* tell DB2 which index to use on the SELECT statement such as:
SELECT MMLNAM from ADDRBOOKL2 where MMLNAM LIKE 'SAMUEL%'

If I didn't point the select to the index, for some reason it wouldn't
choose it.  The folks at IBM Rochester Support Line told me to do this,
but it seems to me that DB2 should be doing that leg work for me.  It
did decrease response time from 4 minutes to 5 seconds -- which is still
slow.