From: Michael Cortes [mailto:cortesm@fortleboeuf.net]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 2:57 PM
To: Ben Lake
Cc: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded

I do have an auto_increment for the record id.  But that is just a way for
me
to uniquely id the record.  Student numbers, barcodes, etc can change.

The reason I am using the do/while loop is:   Every student is getting a
4digit pin for library, cafeteria and network access.  It has to be unique
and we have been assigning a different range of numbers per building/grade.

There are various procedural reasons for this.  I have verified that I am
identifying the new student correctly and going into the do/while loop with
variable that holds the correct starting number for the appropriate pin
range.  It's then just a matter of trying consecutive numbers till I find an

available pin.  The pin may be available because a student left the school
or
because it's next available at the end of the line.

Anyway, I was not aware I could pick and choose my ranges in an
AUTO_INCREMENT
field.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.  Thanks.

--

Michael Cortes
Fort LeBoeuf School District