Re: Don't know why query works this way

there are many ways to approach this.
one is, select the db before any of this activity with mysql_select_db
("dbname") then you can run as many queries against this database as you
want.
Until you call that function again with another db name, mysql with
_always_ run against that database.

hth
jd

                      Michael Cortes
                      <cortesm@fortlebo        To:       php-db@lists.php.net
                      euf.net>                 cc:
                                               Subject:   Don't know why query works this way
                      08/05/2003 11:35
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      cortesm

I have been writing my queries like this.......

$link = mysql_connect ($host, $username, $password);
$query = "insert into $table ('joe', 15)";
if ( mysql_db_query($dbname, $query, $link))          {     }

But then I was reading that I should use mysl_query instead of
mysql_db_query.
But I was having a problem with where do i put the $dbname.

When I used:

mysql_query ($dbname, $query, $link)

I got an error message saying i had too many arguments.  So I changed it
to:

mysql_query ($query, $link)

I then got an error message saying it didn't know what database I was
connected to.  I finally got around the problem by including the database
name in the query, like so:

$query = "insert into $dbname.$table ('joe', 15)";

I shouldn't have to say, but this is a simplified example.  I didn't want
include all the fields, tables, values that the true example has.  The
question is, am I doing this right?  Do I have no choice but to retype the
$dbname all over the place if I want to use "mysql_query"?

Thank in advance for any help.

--

Michael Cortes
Fort LeBoeuf School District