Re: Pros/Cons Database vs Excel

Not to long ago I was in a very similar situation. I walked into a new
job where they were using Lotus Notes to take care of all of there phone
lists (telemarkers) and were using this dbase file to weed out all of
the do not call lists for particular states. Well, I was looking at the
data and the places this company wanted to go and realized several
things:
First: Limits within Lotus (and excel) is that once you begin to add
large numbers of data it slows the results greatly.
Two: I did try at first to look at other options such as Access and
Excel (I wasn't very familiar with Lotus and a little uncomfortable with
it) Excel will eventually stop keeping records passed 65 something
something rows.
Three: Any data can be exported to Excel or Lotus and made "pretty".
While the database can be used to keep things stable and up to
date...with multiple excel sheets all over the place you may never know
who is up to date and who isn't. All that has to happen is a new release
of the excel data named the exact same as the last time it was released
and you have a problem.
Four: In my experience there seems to always be data that you don't want
people to have...usernames, passwords, and the list grows and grows. In
a database you can choose what to give them and what not to give them.
What I would suggest for your problem would be this create a multiple
set of tables to handle the data that you have, create a script to
output the data into whatever format you want, and tell your boss it's
as easy for you to add fields to the database as it is for him to add
them to excel :D.
These of course are just my opinions so you can always take it or leave
it as if I said nothing at all.
David Smith