What happens when the database is down?

Hi,

I am using PHP 4.3.1, Apache 2.0.46 and MySQL 4.0.12 on Windows 2000
Processional Edition.

All the code are working fine, with only one exception. When I shut
down the database, the PHP script will continue running normally until
it reaches the part where information is retrieved from the database.
Then, the HTML output just hangs there. No error, nothing.

How can I detect this type of error? Any way I can set some timeout
limit, etc?

Thank you in advance.

Yours truly,
Hanxue