Re: Newbie file reading into MySQL

On Monday 07 July 2003 07:44, Kim Kohen wrote:

> > Just one question: why are you storing text files containing DATA into a
> > DB? Why not just store the data in the DB and do away with the text
> > files?
>
> ????
> Thanks for the reply.  I can see now my original wording was a bit unclear.
> I am, in fact, storing the data only - the text file is just the 'conduit'
> to get data from InDesign into PHP.  InDesign will generate the text file
> -> PHP reads in the data from the file (and than deletes the text file) ->
> MySQL stores it -> PHP will report on it.
>
> It's just a matter of how to format the file from InDesign. The two options
> would be line by line eg:
>
> Kim
> Page 8
> Sunday, 6 July 2003 8:08:46 PM
> Ad number 1234-t32
> Ad placed on page
>
> I'm figuring this way I'd have to use fgets() and go line by line and do 5
> separate INSERTs or I could have it as some kind of list eg:
>
> Kim, Page 8, Sunday, 6 July 2003 8:08:46 PM, Ad number 1234-t32, Ad placed
> on page
>
> If I do this and get the list into an array, can I have an INSERT statement
> along the lines of INSERT INTO test (column1, column2, column3, column4,
> column5) VALUES ($myarray)  or do I have to parse the array into individual
> values before INSERTing?

You can't pass the array directly like that.

> Logically I'd see one INSERT statement being better than five - I'm just
> not sure how to handle the INSERT from an array.

You have to address each element of the array explicitly:

INSERT INTO test (column1, column2, column3, column4, column5) VALUES
($myarray[0], $myarray[1], ...)

 -or- (depending on how you constructed your array:

INSERT INTO test (column1, column2, column3, column4, column5) VALUES
($myarray['column1'], $myarray['column2'], ...)

You may want to investigate whether formatting the file into something that
can be read by fgetcsv() or parse_ini_file() would make things easier.

/*
If people drank ink instead of Schlitz, they'd be better off.
		-- Edward E. Hippensteel

[What brand of ink?  Ed.]
*/