Re: Newbie file reading into MySQL

G'day Jason

> Just one question: why are you storing text files containing DATA into a DB?
> Why not just store the data in the DB and do away with the text files?
????
Thanks for the reply.  I can see now my original wording was a bit unclear.
I am, in fact, storing the data only - the text file is just the 'conduit'
to get data from InDesign into PHP.  InDesign will generate the text file ->
PHP reads in the data from the file (and than deletes the text file) ->
MySQL stores it -> PHP will report on it.

It's just a matter of how to format the file from InDesign. The two options
would be line by line eg:

Kim
Page 8
Sunday, 6 July 2003 8:08:46 PM
Ad number 1234-t32
Ad placed on page

I'm figuring this way I'd have to use fgets() and go line by line and do 5
separate INSERTs or I could have it as some kind of list eg:

Kim, Page 8, Sunday, 6 July 2003 8:08:46 PM, Ad number 1234-t32, Ad placed
on page

If I do this and get the list into an array, can I have an INSERT statement
along the lines of INSERT INTO test (column1, column2, column3, column4,
column5) VALUES ($myarray)  or do I have to parse the array into individual
values before INSERTing?

Logically I'd see one INSERT statement being better than five - I'm just not
sure how to handle the INSERT from an array.

Cheers and thanks

kim