Compiling 4.2.3 with MySQL ... what does it look for?

X-posted to PHP General, PHP DB, and MySQL

Hi gang

Attempting to get my Linux test-server working, but ran into a problem when "making" PHP...

System is RedHat 8, Apache 1.3.27 (compiled myself, tested OK), MySQL 4.0.13.

The Apache 2.0.40 and PHP 4.2.2 that came w. RH8 didn't work correctly, thus I've ventured into my own creation.

Trying to build PHP 4.2.3 (because that's what my webhost runs, so need that version to test correctly) w. support for MySQL. Running

./configure --with-mysql=/[path to mysql] --with-apxs=/[path to apxs]

Found the path to the apxs to be /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what path to give it for MySQL. I installed MySQL from the the RPM files:
MySQL-client-4.0.13-0.i386.rpm
MySQL-devel-4.0.13-0.i386.rpm
MySQL-embedded-4.0.13-0.i386.rpm
MySQL-server-4.0.13-0.i386.rpm
MySQL-shared-4.0.13-0.i386.rpm

client and server first, the rest second ... used --force to get them in, because it complained about version issues with the one already there (even though the package manager was told not to put the Mysql in, it still put MySQL 3.something in...)

When doing the configure above, I get this error:

configure: error: Cannot find header files under /usr/include

or whatever path I give it ... I'm having a hard time figuring out where the RPM puts everything, and an even harder time figuring out what path to stick to PHP ...

Some detective work gave me these paths:

MySQL (bins):
/usr/bin
/usr/share/mysql
MySQL daemon (mysqld):
/usr/libexec
/usr/sbin
MySQL headers (.h):
/usr/include/mysql

I've tried them all, but they all result in the above error. Anyone care to guess which path I should give to the configure?

Or is it something else that causes this?
I haven't ever used MySQL before, or any other SQL for that matter, so got 0 experience in getting the system up and running with it...

TIA

Rene
--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...