Date Formatting in PHP

I have a simple need to reformat a variable coming in as $DatePick, brought
forward from a MySQL select in the format:

    2003-11-18

I need to convert it to the format

    November 18, 2003

I am trying to avoid having to mess with the MySQL select statement, as the
output is being passed through several documents. So I need to do it within
PHP.

I tried making a conversion like

    $DayReport = date ("F d, Y", $DatePick);

But the value of $DayReport is neither correct nor does it change when
$DatePick changes. For instance, in this example, the $DatePick value of
"2003-11-18" gets converted to "December 31, 1969."

TIA

Dave Shugarts