php to make form field for each column then update page.

Hi,
I have used asp2php to convert an asp site and the update page does not iterate the form contents.
This part saves me making a giant form by making it dynamically-

$dbrec=getrec($result);

<form...

while (list($k,$v)=each($dbrec)) {

  echo "$k&nbsp;<input type='text' value='$v' name='$k'><BR>";

<submit></form>...

I've spent the day looking around the net and haven't found it.
Mainly I don't know what to search for - mostly tried 'dynamic forms' in google...
Any help making update page iterate form contents and update db?
I'd like to know a way to do it without an update statement- by opening that record, setting the
fields then updating it. Do you know example of this?
Thanks
-Steve