RE: Reserve Username while Confirming Signup

I like that idea the best...

Just insert into your DB with their requested login name and password.
Have a timestamp field AND a "registration completed" field or a "status"
field.  I used to do this for people who had registered but had not come
back to the site to verify that they recieved their confirm email.

No need for two tables -- just use one with a status field so you can say

    select * from user where status='regnotdone' and date_add(updated,
    interval 20 minutes)>now()

This gives you all the users that have not completed their registration,
and have not done anything to update their account in the last 20 minutes.
Pick your time interval.  "updated" is type timestamp.

When they complete their registration, change the status to 'completed' or
'unverified' or something like that -- come up with as many statuses as you
want.  But don't use another table -- that's a waste.  Besides, if you
define "username" as a unique index, then your DB will prevent duplicate
usernames -- always good.

Peter