query string

I'm trying to build a query string for one of my links.. for example...
fant_stnd3.php?week=1&team=fun%20team

I need to be able to grab the values of 'week' and 'team' from an array, I
can do that no problem, but when the code runs it cuts off the value if
there is a space in the string. so instead of putting "fun team" in the
query string it cuts it off and just puts.. "fun "

So my question, is there a function or any way to prevent this from
happening?

thanks.