PHP/MySQL and Linux

Hi there everyone,

Is it possible to control user access to directories on Linux via PHP and MySQL?  I mean the basic authentication which pops up a username and password, is it possible that it gets this info from a database rather than from the standard Linux user scheme?  (Phrasing may be wrong as i'm new to unix, sorry :-)

Slightly OT, but is it possible to run certain Linux Commands via PHP?  I'd like to write a script where I can do CHMOD and CHOWN via a secure web interface rather than having to login via SSH.

Thanks everyone, have a great day.

Regards

Chris