From: "Lisi" <lists@shemeshdirectory.co.il>
To: "PHP-DB" <php-db@lists.php.net>
Sent: Tuesday, 20 May, 2003 04:50
Subject:  Subtracting months in MySQL

I have a table that stores a daily summary of page hits. I need to be able
to summarize this data by month, which I've done with the following query:

SELECT
    MONTHNAME(date) as month,
    YEAR(date) as year,
    SUM(count) as count
FROM pagehits
GROUP BY
    YEAR(date),
    MONTHNAME(date)
ORDER BY
    YEAR(date),
    MONTH(date)

I then need to limit this to the previous 12 months.

What's the best way to do this?

1) Using PHP (mktime, date) to get the defining months and plugging into
the query
2) Using MySQL's built in functions (BETWEEN, DATE_SUB) to figure this out
as part of the query (preferable I think)

I know there many different ways to go about this, I'm a little confused
about putting the parts to work together.

Thanks,

-Lisi