RE: linking mysql tables

I didn't see you sent this to the whole list. How nice. Here's my
response for everyone to read since you did that... In addition, let me
state that I'm happy to help anyone out at any time, but you first have
to know how to ask a question and at least done a little work on your
own to get a basic understanding of what you're talking about. Thank
you.

> I, for one, wish you would not treat us like dummies just because it
is
> impossible to understand the arcane crap that makes SQL freaks so
happy. I
> have read Chapter 6 and it is a pile of useless garbage to me until I
can
> get some practical examples, which are sorely lacking in the mySQL
world.

Chapter 6 is full of practical examples for every single type of query
and function that you can use in a query.

> I spent several hours with Chapter 6, BTW and successfully called JOIN
> statements, but it doesn't answer my basic questions. The result of
the
> JOIN
> doesn't look at all like what an ordinary person would expect.

Then ask a specific question relating to your problem. A question such
as "how do I do joins" means you need to keep reading chapter 6 or some
mailing list "rules" until you can ask a specific question relating to
your problem, like: "I'm executing this join .... and getting this
result ... but I expect it to look like .... How can I get that result?"

> Further, we are caught in a server environment that demands we figure
out
> both mySQL as well as PHP, with people on both lists telling us to go
> the
> other list because "that question has nothing to do with PHP."

There is a ton of traffic on this list already and a 100% SQL related
question should be directed to the appropriate list. Just because I use
a Samsung monitor to program PHP that doesn't mean I can discuss Samsung
on here. This list is for PHP specific questions related to databases...

> Give us a BREAK!

No, give me a break. Quit your crying. If you thought my answer was
inappropriate, then you've got issues you need to get taken care of. I
simply pointed out to the user that his problem was unrelated to the
list he posted it to and I even pointed him to the specific chapter in
the manual that would help him sort out his problem. Where's the problem
in that?

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/