Newbie help

Hello,

I am new to working with PHP and MySQL so I'm sure my mistake(s) are simple
enough. Basically, I'm trying to write a script(s) to add a row to a MySQL
database. I took the scripts below off a website and have been trying to
tweak them to do what i want. Unfortunately, the script usually gives me an
error message (the one defined in the script) and very occassionally inserts
a blank row in the database.

Any clues or advice on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately, I have not found the solution on the web or MySQL site
(probably because I have no idea what I'm doing).

Thanks!

- Ken

<HTML>
<form name="mailadmin" method=POST action="test2.php">
userid: <input type="text" name="userid"><br>
passwd: <input type="text" name="passwd"><br>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">
</form>
</HTML>

<?PHP
//Our PHP/MYSQL page.
//This script takes the data from the form
//fields and adds them to specified parts
//parts of the database
//MySQL Variables. Edit where necessary

session_start();

$host = "localhost";
$login_name = "root";
$password = "ronin0567*";

//Connecting to MYSQL
MySQL_connect("$host","$login_name","$password");

//Select the database we want to use
MySQL_select_db("dbmail") or die("Could not select database");

//Assign contents of form to variables
#$userid = $_POST['userid'];
#$passwd = $_POST['passwd'];

$sql = "INSERT INTO users (userid, passwd) VALUES (userid = 'userid',
passwd = 'passwd')";

$result = mysql_query($sql);

//Code to check if statement executed properly and display message
if ($result) {
echo("userid and passwd successully added");
} else {
echo("An error occured");
}

//Close connection with MySQL