RE: passing variables to a link and to a query...

John is absolutely correct (as usual). If you want more information, go to
Google and look up things like "PHP variable passing". I did and the very
first result was this:

http://www.indiwiz.com/web/ServerSide/59

and it has a simple, clear explanation of variable passing in the URL. You
can also check the PHP-DB or PHP-GENERAL mailing list archives for posts on
this subject; I know there's a wealth of information in there.

And, as John said, pay attention to your PHP version and register_globals
directive.

Goog luck.
Rich