PHP And Layers

Hi there everyone,

Just curious, I use Dreamweaver MX 6.1 and i'm starting to look into layers for the first time, is it possible to make layers refresh with PHP?  So, for example, if I have a simple query in a Layer and they select an option, PHP refreshes that layer without refreshing the whole page?

Thanks, and sorry if this question is dumb but you know what it's like when you're learning a new part of the whole web thing :-)

Chris