Beginner MySQL question...

Hello,

This is a terribly beginner question, but I'm stumped and not sure where to turn. I'm just starting out with PHP and MySQL and am stuck at such a basic task.

I'm trying to execute the following code:

$query = "use members";
// If this query is succesfull, and returns a 1. this means that the database members can be used.
// If it returns 'null' then it doesn't exist.
if (mysql_query($query) == null)
{

However, I receive the following error message:

Warning : Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO) in /Users/ryanr/Sites/Accounts/config.php on line 51

Any help would be much appreciated to help make the error go away. :-)

Thanks!

Ryan

--
"Life is not a contest"