Re: PHP+MySQL Programmer/Geek -- Job Titles?

At a previous job where titles were meaningless, I used to have the
title "Technology-Business Cartilage." My job was to keep the two
sides from grinding each other down. A friend has business cards with
the title "Web Warlock."

More seriously, as you get more experience and resposibility, your
title is going to have to get more vague, since you'd end up with a
5x7 business card to describe everything you do. [Senior] Systems
Manager or [Senior] Systems Designer might work, since you seem to do
more than just application development. Besides, manager looks better
on a resume (to the outside world). You don't have to manage people
to be a "manager."

--- Peter Beckman <beckman@purplecow.com> wrote:
> Ok, this is sort of relevant.  If not, feel free to ignore.
>
> I am a PHP+MySQL developer, MySQL DBA, programmer, IT systems
> manager, and
> basic office geek.  As part of my new job, I am responsible for
> reading
> RFP's from the Federal Government and evaluating them for technical
> content, and then recommending courses of action.  I also have to
> do a lot
> of technical and non-technical writing, explaining the processes to
> both
> technical and non-technical folk.
>
> I'm really good at what I do.
>
> However, my boss just gave me business cards that say "Data
> Processing/Programmer."  I just don't think that that title
> accurately
> conveys what I do.
>
> The best I've come up with "Senior Application Developer," but I
> worry that
> is a little vague.
>
> Could the community offer some suggestions as to a title that more
> accurately describes my position?  Or maybe share their titles or
> their
> dream titles?  Anything with Data Processing in the title causes me
> think "Monkey with keyboard," which I surely am not.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

> Peter Beckman
> Internet Guy