RE: Is a PHP session considered a cookie?

Depends.  The session is set to an amount of time.  If you close your
browser after 1 hour, and the session time is 8 hours, and the cookie is
properly saved, then the session you used before you closed your browser
will still be valid, both in your cookie and on the server, until the 8
hours expires.

Read the manual to answer your second question.