Connecting and creating mysql db on a web site

I'm registered on a site (lycos) that offer free hosting and provide a
support for PHP and MYSQL.
I tried to see any information through PHP but I can't retrive information.
I tried to run PHPMYADMIN on the site, but it dosen't run.
How can I do to use a database on the site? Can I do everything with PHP or
I have to use other devices?

Thank you in advice! Sorry for my english I'm italian.
Christian Grassi