Mysql 4.1 - Upgrade PHP Mysql API Client

Hello,
I've a question regarding PHP and mysql 4.1
The are my system values:
- Windows XP
- PHP 4.3.1
- Mysql 4.1
- Apache 2.0.45
When you run a PHP script that connects to a Mysql database you get an error
saying that the authentication protocol is not supported and that you should
upgrade your client.
When I display a php page with phpinfo() i see that my client version in php
is 3.23.49
As i've read you can upgrade the version of your client with the \"--with-mysql\"
parameter.
The question I have on this issue is that how can i specify this parameter when
recompiling on Windows. Or is there a parameter e.g in PHP.INI where you can
put the path of Mysql so that PHP uses the newer version of the client.
SO I'm looking the solution on how i can upgrade my MySQL client in PHP under
Windows ?
Tnx in advance for the answer,
Kind regards,
Tom