mysql if statement to php

Hi,

I am using a php page to grab information using the if
statement.  Now the mysql query works fine but I can't
get the output to output into php.  I have tried many
things and have failed to get it to display.

This is the code:

<?php
mysql_connect ("localhost", "$usr", "$pass") or die
('I cannot connect to the database.');
mysql_select_db ("$db");

$qr = mysql_query("SELECT IF( emailerror = ('y' ),
'error yes', 'do nothing' ) FROM tipping WHERE sid =
'$sid'");

?>

If I do the above query in mysql it returns correctly.
 If Y is in the table it dispalys error yes.  But how
do I get it to output to a php page with the above
function?

Thanks!