Intermittent obdc_connect() or odbc_pconnect() failures against IBMDB2

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue in which calls to odbc_connect() or odbc_pconnect() fail against an IBM DB2 database.

I get a warning in the form:
Warning: SQL error: [garbage], SQL State ([More garbage] [more garbage] in SQLConnect in /myscriptpath"

This is DIFFERENT from other, similar sounding issues people have been having; I can sucessfully connect to DB2 most of the time. Periodically, however, the app fails when calling either odbc_connect() or odbc_pconnect().

Once the error occurs, the issue is intermittent, sometime occuring repeatedly, other times once every other call, other times just once and not again for a while.

There are no entries in the db2diag.log related to this failure (I've repeatedly run tail -f on the log while the error occured and saw no entries made). Also, there are no Apache error log entries and no core files produced.

In an effort to gather data about the issue, I enabled CLI tracing on the webserver. After doing so, however, the issue did not recur. I disabled tracing and the issue did not return. Since enabling or disabling the CLI trace requires a restart of Apache, that could explain why the error does not recur now. According to the client, the issue had occured in the past, but the source could not be identified.

Platform is: AIX 5.1 (both DB2 and Apache)

Database is:
IBM DB2 UDB EE 7.2 FP6 (db2level shows "SQL07024", "DB2 V.7.1.0.60")

Webserver is:
Apache 1.3.27 with PHP 4.2.3 statically linked in. PHP was compiled directly against the sqllib directory of the instance owner (actually, points to a simlink directory which points to the instance owner's sqllib directory).

I can provide more information if needed. Many thanks.