Re: Entering a Query

Hi Shaun

Comments inline ...

On 01 Apr,2003 at 13:37 shaun shaun wrote:

<snip>
> Hi,
>
> I would be very interested to see an example of how it would be possible to
> enter a query into a text area and the results of the query displayed on the

</snip>

Fairly simple At its most basic you have a form :-

<form method="post" action="do_query.php">
<textarea name="myquery"></textarea>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

which posts to your php page :-

<?php

$sql = $HTTP_POST_VARS["myquery"];

// You'll need code here to sanitize the query and make sure there's
// no nasty surprises in it.

// then simply create your connection (assuming a function here)
$conn = db_connect();

$result = mysql_query($sql);

// Code to display the result here

?>

You would need to have some checking involved for the query.  Also, as always, apply 'least privilege' to the user the query runs as.  I don't know what you're using it for but be VERY careful - I would only allow selects here unless you're sure you know how it will be used.

Hope this helps ... :-)

--
Ronan
e: ronan@thelittledot.com