transfer files that doesent exists

Hi all,

I'm about to make an open source backup module that works on php...
The thing i want is for php to execute this command "tar cvzfp
backup.tar.gz dir/*" BUT IN A SPECIAL WAY!

I don't want the file backup.tar.gz to be on the server, it's supposed
to either be deleted as fast as the user downloaded the file, or best of
all, i want php to do something with the command such that it is ONLY
output, and might be in the header....does anyone know how to do that ??

If i did'nt explain right please let me know....

And thanks.
Lars Rasmussen