Re: Real Killer App!

Have you tried adding a flush() statement in at certain points? Perhaps put one in after every page is processed. Technically this is designed for browsers, but perhaps it will help here. It will most likely slow things down, but if it works, then you can adjust it from there (like every 10 pages or so).
As another long shot, you may try using clearstatcache() also. You don't want to cache any files you are processing, but PHP may be doing this anyway.