Re: Real Killer App!

As you guys know I've been going around in circles with this spider app problem for a couple days. I think I finally found where the screwup is, and I'm sure you'll be interested to hear about it. I had been testing with three sites because they were fairly diverse and gave me a lot of different stuff to stress the app. One was a site with about 70 pages made up almost entirely of links that include a query string. The other two where sites mostly of just text with lots of link lists and stuff, and that used a lot of SSI, and stuff like that. These two sites had about 1000 pages or so each, but only indexed about 200 or so of them then died. I decided to try something different.

I indexed a site that I have on my server. Since it's hitting it at 100MHz things went pretty fast. It ran for a while and indexed over 1600 pages. Then, not only did it die, I got BSOD! Yep, that's right, w2k handed me a hard ntoskernel crash. Isn't that special? At this point I'm not sure if it's a bug in windows, in php 4.3.1, or mysql 3.23.55. In any case, I'm moving the app to a linux box tomorrow and will be very interested to see the results of that. It's a standard red hat 8 setup, php4.2.2 and mysql 3.23.54a. I hate to have to release this as a linux only release, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes!

In the mean time, is there anything in php or mysql that is critical for windows that might not be addressed in the standard docs? The hardware is good, and not anywhere near being taxed. The OS seems stable, I haven't had a lot of trouble with w2k when asking it to do much more complex stuff than this. Anyway, if this doesn't work on the linux box, I'm going to have to start from scratch on this spider. How would you do it?

Nick