From: Nicholas Fitzgerald
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 10:15:52 AM
To: php-db@lists.php.net
Subject: Re:  Real Killer App!

Rich Gray wrote:

>>I'm having a heck of a time trying to write a little web crawler for my
>>intranet. I've got everything functionally working it seems like, but
>>there is a very strange problem I can't nail down. If I put in an entry
>>and start the crawler it goes great through the first loop. It gets the
>>url, gets the page info, puts it in the database, and then parses all of
>>the links out and puts them raw into the database. On the second loop it
>>picks up all the new stuff and does the same thing. By the time the
>>second loop is completed I'll have just over 300 items in the database.
>>On the third loop is where the problem starts. Once it gets into the
>>third loop, it starts to slow down a lot. Then, after a while, if I'm
>>running from the command line, it'll just go to a command prompt. If I'm
>>running in a browser, it returns a "document contains no data" error.
>>This is with php 4.3.1 on a win2000 server. Haven't tried it on a linux
>>box yet, but I'd rather run it on the windows server since it's bigger
>>and has plenty of cpu, memory, and raid space. It's almost like the
>>thing is getting confused when it starts to get more than 300 entries in
>>the database. Any ideas out there as to what would cause this kind of
>>problem?
>>
>>Nick
>>

>Can you post some code? Are your script timeouts set appropriately? Does
>memory/CPU useage increase dramatically or are there any other symptoms of
>where it is choking...? What DB is it updating? What does the database tell
>you is happening when it starts choking? What do debug messages tell you
wrt
>finding the bottleneck? Does it happen always no matter what start point is
>used? Are you using recursive functions?
>
>Sorry lots of questions but no answers... :)
>
>Cheers
>Rich

Recognizing that this script would take a long time to run I'm using
set_time_limit(0) in it so a timeout doesn't become an issue. The server
has 1.5 gig of memory and is a dual processor 1GHz PIII. I have never
seen it get over 15% cpu usage, even while this is going on, and it
never gets anywhere near full memory usage. The tax on the system itself
is actually negligable. There are no symptoms that I can find to
indicate where the chokepoint might be. It seems to be when the DB
reaches a certain size, but 300 or so records should be a piece of cake
for it. As far as the debug backtrace, there really isn't anything there
that stands out. It's not an issue with a variable, something is going
wrong in the execution either of php, or a sql query. I'm not finding
any errors in the mysql error log, or anywhere else.

Basically the prog is in two parts. First, it goes and gets the current
contents of the DB, one record at a time, and checks it. If it meets the
criteria it is then indexed or reindexed. If it is indexed, then it goes
to the second part. This is where it strips any links from the page and
puts them in the DB for indexing, if thery're not already there. When it
dies, this is where it dies. I'll get the "UPDATING: <title><url>
message that comes up when it does an update, but at that point, where
it is going into strip links, it dies right there.

Nick