Re: How to Connect remote DB server?

A couple of things. First, I believe it's pg_connect(), not
pgsql_connect(). Also, note that according to the docs, the old
syntax with multiple parameters
$conn = pg_connect("host", "port", "options", "tty", "dbname")
has been deprecated.

But more importantly, can you ping the postgres/mssql server from the
web server? Can you connect to them via the command line or via ODBC?
Try to narrow it down to the network, PHP, or your code.

--- Patrick LOK <patricklok@msn.com> wrote:
> There is no firewall within the LAN environment.
>
> I tried the mssql_connect too using mssql_connect("testdb","sa","")
> but same
> error returned!
> Any idea?
>
> ./pl
>
> "Jason Wong" <php-db@gremlins.biz> wrote in message
> 200303122030.53205.php-db@gremlins.biz">news:200303122030.53205.php-db@gremlins.biz...
> > On Wednesday 12 March 2003 19:28, Patrick LOK wrote:
> > > It is possible to connect a remote db server using
> xxxxx_connect?
> > > e.g. a PostgreSQL in server PSQLDB, ip=192.168.0.100  and a
> MSSQL server
> > > MSSQLDB, ip=192.168.0.110
> > >
> > > I tried pgsql_connect("psqldb","administrator","") &
> > > pgsql_connect("192.168.0.100","administrator","") but failed!
> > >
> > > Error is "Unable to connect to server: psqldb in psqltest.php
> on line 2"
> &
> > > "Unable to connect to server: 192.168.0.100 in psqltest.php on
> line 2"
> >
> > Yes, it is possible to connect to a remote DB server. You have to
> make
> sure
> > that:
> >
> > a) the DB server in question is configured to accept remote
> connections
> > b) any intervening firewall is correctly configured to allow DB
> traffic
> >

> > --
> > Jason Wong -> Gremlins Associates -> www.gremlins.biz
> > Open Source Software Systems Integrators
> > * Web Design & Hosting * Internet & Intranet Applications
> Development *
> > /*
> > Dr. Livingston?
> > Dr. Livingston I. Presume?