Session variables when global variables switched off [Sorry, first message accidentally fired off to quickly ]

[sorry for the incomplete posting of a couple moments ago. I hit ctl
something or other and outlook fired off the e-mail against my wishes!]

I am making a section on a web site which requires that visitors log-in.
Log-in, password, etc are in an MySQL table. I am using (via a web host) PHP
4.2.2 with global variables turned off. Until now, I have worked with a
different host in which global variables were switched on.

The way it works
The user logs in at index.php. When she does so successfully, index.php
returns a menu of links. However, if she clicks on any of those links, which
are different pages, she gets a please log-in first message because each
page includes...

if ($_SESSION['verified'] <> "yes"){
echo "<P><a href='index.php'>Please log in first</a></P>";
exit();
}

Returning to index.php requires a log-in again.

So, it seems the session variable is not being sent being sent between
pages, although it works within the same page. I expect I am missing
something obvious. I've made this kind of thing work with global variables
on - so I assume I am misunderstanding something related to lack of global
variables.

I use

session_start();

at the top of all pages and

session_register($_SESSION['okbabe']);

on index.php.

Your enlightenment will be highly appreciated.

Jeffrey Baumgartner