RE: collaborating on a document

Ofcourse then everyone has to have Adobe installed, which is probably less likely
then having _javascript_ enabled.

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 10:39, Hutchins, Richard wrote:
Actually, Adobe 5.0 implemented on a server in Assembled or Integrated
(their words, not mine) configuration DOES allow for real-time document
collaboration. Whether this solution would actually solve the problem is
determined by the requirements of the collaboration environment.

If you're thinking Acrobat 4.0, you're absolutely right. Real-time
collaboration is, for all practical purposes, non-existent.

I'm not going to get into any further debate because it's off topic and all
of the information is available on Adobe.com, specifically in the following
links:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/acr05_review_wp.pdf
and, more generally, http://www.adobe.com/acrofamily/collaboration.html.

In regards to actually implementing a solution using JS, yes can work, but
you're walking what can be a tight rope on client-side configuration. Some
of the standard issues are:
1. You have to make sure your users all have JS enabled or your app won't
work.
2. You'll have to write cross-browser compatible code back to v. 4.0
browsers as a standard.
3. Refreshing a screen every 30 seconds is going to really tick off users
that don't have DSL or better connections.

These issues are certainly not insurmountable. All of the above concerns can
be alleviated, if not eliminated, if you're going to implement on an
intranet where you have control over what clients are used. But in the WWW
arena, you just don't know what clients are going to be used.