Re: VFP 6 via ODBC and data integrity questions

There's an alternate route, but I've used it only over a network, not across the internet.

Create a keys table which has two fields - tablename and keyvalue.

Create a Get_VFP_Key function with one parameter, the tablename, which returns the keyvalue for that table name.

Get_VFP_Key gets a lock on the row containing the tablename, grabs the value, increments it according to whatever scheme you are using, writes the new value and releases the lock. A friend of mine used the ascii table and generated base 256 keys, rather an exceptional fellow.

The problem I see here is latency and a locking problem.

Alternately, if the machine you are hitting is running VFP, why not use its native sys(2015) (or 2017 - can't remember just now) to generate a random key.

HTH - Miles Thompson

BTW Character-based primary keys are quite common in the VFP world because FoxPro did not cleanly handle a mix of numeric and character fields in the WHERE portion of a SELECT. It wanted all character values, so don't be too hard on the morons.

How are they handling the generation of primary keys?