RE: Remote Oracle database questions...

One thing I can help with is TNSNAME. It was very confusing for me at first, it's kind of like an alias on steroids... It is a necessary part of connecting to an Oracle server. TNSNAMES are declared in a file called... go figure... tnsnames. Even good Oracle DBAs run into confusion because the tnsnames file (on the connecting client) can get huge. As far as how PHP does it, I'd ASSUME that the Oracle client would have to be installed on the server PHP is running on. Upon installing the Oracle client it will create the tnsnames file and set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable, the file needs a reference to the server you wish to connect to. I haven't used Oracle since 8i came out... but I'm pretty sure this is accurate. Except the guess about how PHP does it.

<>< Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: NIPP, SCOTT V (SBCSI) [mailto:sn4265@sbc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 9:24 AM
To: 'php-db@lists.php.net'
Subject:  Remote Oracle database questions...

	I have now been granted access to a remote Oracle database that I
need to query.  All of the work that I have done with databases and PHP has
been focused on MySQL, does anyone know of a good tutorial for PHP with
Oracle?  My immediate question is how do I get logged into the remote
database to perform my query?  I notice that there is a Oracle function in
PHP called ora_logon.  This function description mentions something about
logging in using 'user@TNSNAME'.  I am pretty confused by what this means.
	Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott Nipp
Phone:  (214) 858-1289