Re: Index on email or ID?

Always, always, always use a value that has no other significance other than being a unique ID. Email addresses change and so do passwords, so those are poor choices for linking data. They are fine and good choices for login, but that's about the only thing they should be used for.

I've seen systems where the social security number was used as the unique ID. Sure it won't change, but it's also private information. Then there is the problem of human error on data entry.