Session questions

Hi there everyone,

 I have a login system which uses sessions, and when people login it puts
the date they logged in in their profile and moves their last login date
over to another field, that works fine, but how can I check if someone has
logged out via code?  In other words, if someone does what they want and
then just closes the browser without logging out no record is saved, how can
I tell whether they have logged out / gone from the website ?  I need to
know this for security.

Which brings me to my next question :-)

How would I make it so only 1 person can login at any time with any given
username/password combo?  I know I have to track the sessions, but not sure
how :-(

Any help would really be appreciated.

Chris