Connecting to MS SQL 7

I have successfully installed PHP 4.2.3 on a Win NT 4 server, running IIS 4, and can execute PHP functions now.

However, when I try to connect to an MS SQL 7 database on the same box, I receive this error: "PHP Warning: Unable to load dynamic library './php3_mssql70.dll' - %1 is not a valid Windows NT application", and my mssql_connect statment fails.

What I had done was to find a copy of php3_mssql70.dll on the web and copy it onto the server -- various faqs told me this needed to happen in order for database calls to work.

Why isn't this dll being recognized as a valid Windows NT application, then?

Thank you.