RE: regarding multiple joins

sorry for my confusing email... i'll try to clarify what i was asking:

i have two tables (i shortened them to only show the parts relating to what
i'm trying to do now) ...

CREATE TABLE articles (
  id smallint(4) unsigned zerofill NOT NULL auto_increment,
  title varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
  public char(1) NOT NULL default 'y',
  author smallint(6) default NULL,
  editor smallint(6) default NULL,
  photog1 smallint(6) default NULL,
  photog2 smallint(6) default NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (id),
  KEY author (author),
  KEY editor (editor),
  KEY photog1 (photog1),
  KEY photog2 (photog2),
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE people (
  id tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  name varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id),
) TYPE=MyISAM;

those are my two tables. basically 'articles' holds all of the info relating
to that article, and people just contains all the possible people that might
be an author, editor, or photographer. when i display an article, it queries
the database a total of 5 times. (once to retrieve all of the info from
'articles' and 4 more times to retrieve info from 'people.'

i know that this isn't that efficient. i wish to use JOINs so that only 1
query would be made, and that the name of the author, editor, etc can be
pulled up instead of just their index values (which i know query the
database again to pull out the name).

i have a feeling i would need a rather complex JOIN but i'm not sure how it
looks exactly.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you very much.
-jon